Author: Dr. Quinte Naturopathic Centre on 14 January 2014
I recently received an email from my local CSA to remind me to sign up for the 2014 season. What is a CSA you ask? The Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a system that connects you the consumer directly to fresh, locally grown, herbicide and chemical free food in your area. You pay an annual fee and in return pick up a weekly supply of farm fresh vegetables for the entire summer and into the fall. I continually hear people complain about how expensive organic vegetables are so this is an excellent alternative to buying organic at the grocery store!
Here are some local farms that will be running a CSA this season:
1. Fiddlehead Farm, Demorestville, ON: http://www.fiddlehead-farm.ca (will deliver to Belleville)
2. Sunflower Farm, Tamworth, ON: http://sunflowerfarm.ca (additional local Berry share available)
3. Strattons Farm, Stirling, ON: http://www.strattonsfarm.ca (Winter Share also available; will deliver to Belleville)
In addition, if you are looking for organic, grass-fed beef, chicken, eggs or bulk vegetables, you can check out the following:
1. Earth Haven Farm, Thomasburg, ON: http:/earthhaven.ca/
2. Harvest Hastings database: http://www.harvesthastings.ca/
Do you like these posts? Sign up for Dr. Durkin’s Apple a Day ….
Apple A Day is where you can find small, digestible, practical action steps to help you feel your best, one apple at a time.