Author: Dr. Michelle Durkin on 14 June 2016
Are you are trying to lose weight, improve your digestion, or get rid of some aches and pains that have become chronic? Chances are you might have been guided to try eating a grain-free, low-carb food plan to see if it will help.
One of the foods that people will often miss on this food plan is rice. As a versatile side, this is my favourite substitute for rice in any recipe.
1 head cauliflower, raw
2 Tbsp butter or coconut oil 1 yellow onion, chopped 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse cauliflower under cold water and break apart into large chunks.
2. Using food processor, pulse until cauliflower has reached a grainy texture like rice.
3. Melt butter or coconut oil in pan on stovetop over medium heat.
4. Saute onion and garlic until translucent (3-4 mins).
5. Add in cauliflower rice and continue to sauté 4-5 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
Cauliflower rice can be substituted for traditional rice in curries, stir fries, and even sushi.
Now I would love to hear from you! What dishes can you start to transform with cauliflower rice as a substitute? Leave your comments below and share this recipe with family and friends. I look forward to next week’s article on Doctor as Teacher Tuesday.
Do you like these posts? Sign up for Dr. Durkin’s Apple a Day ….
Apple A Day is where you can find small, digestible, practical action steps to help you feel your best, one apple at a time.